Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Par-tay!

Over the past 6 years, I have quickly learned that having 2 of your favorite people{Adi and Mike} share a birthday can make celebrating pretty tricky at times. I am a sucker for birthdays - I find nothing wrong with going to extremes to make sure the birthday girl/boy feels special at all times! So, this year when Adi asked early on "if she could have her birthday on the 19th instead of the 20th because she did NOT want to have a party with all of dad's friends" I {laughed} and then felt the pressure rise, not because I was worried about Adi's party but because I was reminded just what a BIG year this would be for Mike - he's turning 30! So, with the help of several great people {thanks again Chaddy,Steph, Angie, and Mom} the following party was planned! Never, ever, ever in my life did I think keeping it secret would be as hard/stressful nor did I realize just how nosey my cute hubby is...but in the end we succeeded!

At exactly 7:25, Mike was officially surprised! (see the clock - haha) We rented out a couple rooms at this really cool new place called Noah's - we had 2 raquet ball courts, a couple pool tables and Jeremy brought his wii (the hit of the night) and we just hung out/played/ate all night!

The "gift" part of the night was tons of fun! I asked everyone to bring 30 "things" for Mike! He got so many cool things...30 frozen burritos, 30 suckers, 30 pepsis, 30 quotes from the "other" Michael Scott, 2 daquiri mixes-14 cups-14 drink umbrellas, 30 bajio bucks, 30 pennies-nickles-dimes-quarters, 30 socks, 30 treats, 30 tax returns - complete with goodies inside, 30 mtn dews, 30 skittles/bugs and the funniest of all - my mom made Mike a book of 30 pictures - of her! Every gift was so thought out and showed Mikey just how much he is loved!

So, there was no Strawberry Shortcake Cake with Mike's name on it, no Care Bear cake without his name on it and there were no dolls/girly things to be opened at this birthday party...it was all just for Mike! Happy{almost} 30 years! We love you!


*Stay tuned for Adi's Rock Star Party update as soon as photoshop/blogger and I make-up and become friends again! urrrg

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This party looks like so much fun! What a great idea to do 30 pieces to each gift. I love you and your cute family!

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

K- so you have just become one of my all time favorite people!!! My hubby's 30th bday is in August and I too will be attempting a suprise birthday party. I absolutely LOVE your ideas...where exactly is Noah's? Will you email me your digits so I can call you for more info...my email is heidster_ut@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Oh and Happy Birthday Mike!!!

•stephanie• said...

what an awesome wife/party thrower you are! surprises are not so easy to pull off.

the gifts were spectacular. mike better cherish that book from your mom!

apparently, there was a trip to smart cookie {exciting enough to blog about!} somewhere in the mix, too.

Brian & Heidi Haas said...

P.S. not that you haven't always been a favorite, you know what I mean...and you just made my "suprise" birthday a little easier. Hopefully!?!

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

We had such a great time at his party! I just wish we could have been there when he arrived! Hope Mike enjoys his burritos! We'll all have to get together soon!

**oh, and thanks for introducing us to Smart Cookie - I told my sister (who is at BYU) over the weekend that she had better not even think of coming home without some cookies for us!**

sweet pickles said...

What a great time that was. We'll have to do it again. What a genious you are at parites. I'm always impressed.
Happy Birthday to Adi and Mike!

come sit awhile... said...

I am grinning ear to ear! What a fun time we had, didn't we? And for two of my favorite people on the planet...
You did such an incredible job with the entire weekend, including Valentine's Day. (Yes, friends of Kacee...she took sugar cookies to all the kid's families and Mike's work, we had a candlelight steak dinner and for dessert fruit dipped in chocolate? (Isn't Valentines Day the day for LOVE and CHOCOLATE?) And we even got a cute pink bag filled with presents.
Thanks so much Kacee! I'm still not sure who's kid you are when you do things like that...but you're definitely an inspiration to me!

Annie Miller said...

I really need to talk to you about throwing a party. I had no ideas when it came down to my Mike's 30th. You put me to shame...really! Tell your Mike Happy Birthday!