Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer of the Grasshopper

This little guy decided to hang out on my back porch today, I passed him a couple times as I took care of my {beloved} pet. I got to thinking about just how many grasshoppers I have seen over this summer...LOTS!

Then I started thinking of about each of those times, smiled, and decided to share:

♣Early in the summer we had a grasshopper waiting for us on our doorstep when we returned from church - I convinced Adi to be brave and hold it, which she did. It was cool until it peed on her, I laughed, she didn't. Oh, and don't bring it up - its still a bit of a sore spot.

♣Later in the summer I saw a HUGE one while watering my flowers. I ran in and got Luke to show him - he was kinda disgusted. They aren't as cute as they are in his morning cartoons.
♣My next memory is our backyard fence. Mike had just finished mowing the lawn, I think Chad was over. We went to show the kids a baby grasshopper on the fence only to have it hop away. Sheer disappointment -UNTIL - we looked over and found 20-30 all along the back fence, dad must have scared them with the mower. We had no problems showing them off to the kids then, although, Adilynn would have nothing to do with them, she likes to keep her hands clean!
♣Then, just the other day as I was out visiting teaching, my friends little girl ran into the house telling me all about the grasshopper she had seen on her walk over. She was so excited to show me afterward. Then, as she left the house she found another and called me over to see it. As I walked over it made a big hop away and the little girls all squealed. I couldn't help but smile - how fun to be a kid!
I think this picture makes the ugly thing look a little friendly! And my point to this all? Not sure, just thought I would share some happy memories. Do you have any grasshopper memories?

6 comments:

jenn said...

Such a cute little post about a not very cute insect. (I'm with Adi on this one!)

Apple Fest 2013 said...

I'm amazed at your fabulous picture taking abilities. I must say, that's the friendliest grasshopper I have seen :)

Marcae said...

If you're wondering who "fillmore utah" is....it's me. I didn't realized I was logged into my other blog....ooops :)

sweet pickles said...

You can bet LJ has spent many an hour hunting and catching grasshoppers. We had a jar full of them for a while. He thought they were his new pets until he suffocated them in said jar. Hard lesson to learn.

Angee said...

I totally hate, I mean don't like grasshoppers, but that last picture you took actually makes one look somewhat not hateable.

I really like thoughtful random posts. Poor Adi and grasshopper pee. Ew...

Amie said...

Thomas has loved the grasshoppers this year. He has learned that if they are missing their rear legs, they stick around alot longer. He has had several pet grasshoppers. I insist that they stay outside. Today there were tears at the ball field when I wouldn't let him bring home his new pet moth!